Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

A Few Bumps in the Road to Mayberry

I had a little meltdown a couple of days ago.

And then another one yesterday.

I am being pulled two directions, literally, these days.

If I drive North(ish), I end up at our shop in Ontonogan.  Where there is nothing going on, yet.  I need to start hitting the streets there to drum up some business for my piano studio.  I have tried subtle: word of mouth, signs in my window, signs on community bulletin boards, but no one has taken me up on my offer of piano lessons.
In spite of a pretty piano and setting (purple and green!)


I do know that word of mouth is effective here in Yooperland.

Because EVERY town here is Mayberry.

I hope you have watched the show sometime in your lifetime.  Andy Taylor (Griffith) goes about his everyday tasks, among a really interesting and slightly quirky cast of co-workers, neighbors and family. It's a place where you can find help if you need it, but don't expect to have any secrets about it.

I think what I need to do is look like I'm more serious and to be more outgoing.  I know I can advertise in the local papers, but even that seems like it's not the personal, in-your-face type communication people appreciate here.  I think I would have more luck hitting all the restaurants and bars and maybe talking to people in grocery stores more.

Something I find funny in grocery stores here is that you are expected to say hi.  To everyone. Everyone, in every aisle, looks at you expecting it.   It's the neighborly, Mayberry thing to do.  And if you get into one of those patterns of meeting in every aisle going opposite directions, you'd better have an anecdote handy.  It's expected.

Yesterday, at Settler's Co-op in Bruce Crossing (pronounced "Bruce's" by all the locals who couldn't possibly remember the real guy, who in the mining days started the town by building a store/hotel/saloon/post office there) we were getting some lunch and drinks and paying for gas in the convenience store side, where it clearly says you MAY NOT have more than 5 items to check out, otherwise you are expected to walk over to the grocery side of the building and check out.  Our checker, Ben, insisted that our 7 items would be okay, but a man behind us in line was nice enough to count and inform us of our mistake. I turned around to notice that he had a twinkle in his eye, so he wasn't REALLY worried about it.  I think his observant comment had to do with the fact that I had spurned him in the aisle earlier, and NOT responded to his anecdote (something about the weather, I think it was). I will not make that mistake again, nice man in the hiking hat.

Anyway, my meltdown had something to do with the fact that until I can get this business up and running, we are running through our cash reserves, which is extremely scary.  It also had to do with the other direction I am being pulled these days...South(ish) towards Paynesville and our house there.

The plan is to be moved in by Oct. 1.  The problem is, the place is a mess and as of this morning at 7:21, there is still no water there.

The house was a bank foreclosure, so it was a good deal.  The house was a bank foreclosure, so it is pretty messy inside, and also the condition of various systems contained therein is virtually unknown. Well, it is becoming more known as the days go by.  There are some minor bumps, like a faulty gauge on the propane tank, THIS outside our patio door,
Yes, it is ALIVE, and no, I don't know what to do about it, yet. 
and major bumps, that look something like this:
The well pump will not work, so it involves digging up the pipes into the house from the well, and the well area itself, to see what's up.  

Fortunately, that picture is the worst of it.  The guy digging is our friend John's son, Nathan.  We are so lucky to have found people like John and his family, who have a lot of skills, especially when it comes to moving dirt around, and the understanding of just about anything that involves construction or mechanical systems.  What makes it better is the gentle neighborly kindness they show our family, in trying to understand what we need to do to get things up and running.  In addition, our actual Paynesville neighbor has been hanging out in the trenches (literally) with Nathan and Bob, offering advice and help, and the use of his hydrant if we need it. Mayberry at its finest. 

While all that is going on outside, I have been working on the inside.  The house has been empty awhile, and it looks like the people who left it did so in a hurry.  Over the 60 years the house has been around, it has been remodeled pretty well, but then it looks like the last owners or so didn't understand some basics of cleaning....sooo....

I have spent two days (and subsequent meltdowns) "un-yicking" the kitchen.  I am happy to say that yesterday, late in the afternoon, while the boys were deep in the trenches (literally), I declared things suitably "un-yicked" for now, and I started painting the kitchen.  You know how in an earlier post, I talked about my un-like of the color blue?  I am banishing it from the kitchen with a color called "Leapfrog."  It is such a warm replacement for the icy light blue that is there. And yes, it is green. 

So far it looks like this.  I hope you like it  as much as I do.  If you don't, don't tell me.  

I wonder if anyone EVER can see very far down the road to where their lives might lead them. Back on July 1, I wasn't thinking wells, or interim houses, or BIG hornets nests, or even living for a time in the charming little town of Rockland (pronounced Mayberry).  I thought I was going to be a homesteader in the middle of my forest on Duba (pronounced "Splude" or "Klein's," depending on how long you've lived in the area) Road.  I guess in a way, this is homesteading, carving a path through the wilderness (and our yard, with an excavator).  

The meltdowns happen, because it's still hard for me to be patient and realize, as I'm sure all homesteaders since the beginning of time have had to realize, that the list of chores and jobs and projects never end, most of them are always gonna be works in progress, and ONLY GOD knows where all the bumps in the road are gonna happen.  And what does he do about it?  He sends me great, kindly people who are patient and willing to help, or just to be friendly in a strange land (pronounced "grocery store"), as well as moments of great clarity, when I realize that it truly is all good and ALL in His hands.  
Wish you could have really seen the sunset on these trees last night.  And the stormy looking clouds over Lake Superior. The bad picture (through the bugs) was the result of me not wanting to be a distracted driver.  Sorry, but God sometimes has to be VERY distracting to get my attention. So much for the small whispering voice, God! 

Anyway, I'm determined to keep the faith, and forge ahead, either North(ish) or South(ish) today. Lots of miles to cover, and maybe a few little bumps as well.  I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment