Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Beautiful Autumn

Nothing earth-shattering to talk about today.

Except that Autumn is a wonder around here!

We finished closing up our camp today.  It means no camping out there until next year, but I hope we are able to still spend time out there, because the changing seasons bring with them such incredible beauty.

I want to share what I saw today.

After cleaning up our campsite, we drove through the property.  Two places we are always sure to check out are the meadow that is halfway north in our property and at the west border.

We call it Aspen Meadow, because it is where the aspen forest on the north 80 acres starts.



I like how the yellow leaves of the aspens move and glow in the sunlight.



I like how the aspens are so thick, you could walk just a little ways into them and never be seen.
It's either Bigfoot, or BigBobPete.

The open part of the meadow has patches of alders, which are happy to grow in the dense red clay. 
I like these three old sister alders.

We also made a trip to the southwest corner of our property, where Shane Creek crosses through, and a blocked bridge marks the entrance into the Ottawa National Forest.  Bob wishes they would open the bridge, so four-wheelers wouldn't tear up our section of the creek.  

The water here is actually perfectly clear.  The brown you see is the sand/soil on the bottom.  There are tiny little brook trout here always.  

Today, because of several days of heavy frost, there were no flowers to be seen.  However, lots of small things caught my attention:


The kind of burrs that stick to your clothes really badly...

Big patches of goldenrod gone to seed...

Even grass is pretty...

Trees filled with unrecognizable fruit...


Scary up close seeds...

Pretty up close lichen on maple trees...


 More pretty seeds (goldenrod)....


Leaving our property today on Duba Road, we saw flocks of birds, including our first snowbirds (Dark-eyed Juncos), 

and White-crowned Sparrows, with a couple of Harris's Sparrows hanging around with them.  




I love Harris's Sparrows in their fall-winter colors. 

Driving home to Paynesville, we took old M-28, so we could drive slow and look. AND make Bob STOP mega times so I could take pictures

OF
Beautiful old barns nearly hidden in the forest...

Three eagles and some crows dining on something I don't want to know about...


A whole bunch of unidentifiable fuzzy stuff (if you know what this is, please tell me!)...

And the glorious, glorious red of the Autumn Maples!!!



And I ask you, have you ever seen anything lovelier than Autumn in the UP?  If you have, please share, because I want to see it, too!

God is a master of color!

And I am blessed to be able to see it!

Amen, Amen, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment