Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Happy Day, Woody Woodpecker and My Favorite Color (BLUE!)

38 Degrees and mostly SUNNY.  Wow!  Today was a gorgeous day in the UP!

Just a quick post before bed, because I can't stop thinking about today and looking at my pictures.

So....maybe you want to look at a couple of them, too???

If you don't, then STOP NOW, because I'm showing them anyway.

We drove up to L'Anse today and drove on both sides of the bay, enjoying the gorgeous blue of the sky reflecting on the water, watched men and gulls and mergansers hunting for smelt, saw tundra swans sunning themselves from their little patch of ice. Bliss. Amen.

Looking across from L'Anse to Sand Point Lighthouse

Baraga (in real life, that road doesn't seem nearly that steep!)

framed by pointy spruce trees is nice

I thought it looked like the branches were saying "tah-DAH!" towards the beautiful view

my favorites here are the cloud reflections, and the fact that you can see the rocks on the bottom of the lake here...it's deeper than you think, too

smelt fishing

which is YOUR favorite color of blue...is it the sky reflection, or the aqua ice?

look it up on Google Earth...that's the Keweenaw peninsula on the left side

close up of lighthouse

fishing mergansers
smelt catcher

diving ducks

tundra swan family
It was sooo beautiful there today.  The fresh cold air coming off the lake was so invigorating! And have you ever seen such beautiful blue colors? I promise you, I didn't enhance my photos in any way.  Bob agreed, if anything, these pics are not quite as bright blue. If you read my blog, you know that blue is not usually my favorite color....today....it WAS.

One more really fun treat today was my favorite (today) bird....Woody Woodpecker.  Actually, a Pileated Woodpecker, big as a chicken, and so weirdly cool, landed close to our car and stayed there for longer than I've ever seen one.  I'm not sure what she was doing, but I made a MOVIE about it. And here it is, your dessert course of this post: (Click the green words) They call me MISTER Pileated! (Edit..this title is erroneous, because this is most likely a Missus Pileated.  Her mustachios are definitely black and not red.)

What a day!  Hope your day was great fun, too, and that you are enjoying the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment