Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Obsession, and an Every Day Treasure Hunt

Hmmmm....I just noticed something.

According to the dictionary definition, "obsession" is not a good thing.

That's too bad.  Because I consider myself to be obsessed by many different things.  Maybe I need to find a new word, so you think I'm okay.  I know I'm okay, so it doesn't really matter.  But I'll find a "good" synonym.

Infatuation?

Idee fixe?  ( I like this one because I can say ee-day feeks, and you might think I know some French. Or maybe you don't believe it.  You are wise.)

Maybe I'll just be musical and say in my life there are some common motifs or themes.

There....THAT doesn't sound obsessive at all.

BIRDS!

A continuing theme....I would say almost an ostinato....or maybe definitely an ostinato.

Yep.  Birds are an every day treasure hunt.  For so many reasons. There is always a bird that you haven't seen. There are nearly 400 bird species to be discovered in the UP.  I only have 180 birds on my life list.  Isn't that awesome?  Not to mention the fact that a lot of the birds on my life list are ones I'm probably not going to see in the UP.  Like the Bobolink.  Or a White-faced Ibis. Or a Cinnamon Teal.

But why am I obsessed? I thought about this yesterday and today, when a bird I've only seen once in my life, and then from a distance, came flying in in a great gallup (yep, it's a thing) of Common Redpolls to devour every seed they could pack into their little 13 cm bodies.

girl redpoll

boy redpoll

snow nose

messy eater

intense staring

even more intense

more messy eaters

beautiful boy

pretty little girl

Probably obsessive, huh...that I took many, many pictures of these little guys to get these  nice (at least I think so) shots of them.  What personalities they have!  I haven't even begun to capture that here.

So, multiply all the personality times almost 400, and then I think you can see something about what I strive to see and to capture in my bird pictures.  Because every kind of bird has its own personality:

From stoic daytime owls
Barred Owl

To flirty begging-for-food ducks
boy Mallard in non-breeding plumage

To grumpy hummingbirds
because whenever a hummingbird lands, it is 100 times cuter

To serene swans
because cynets

To majestic eagles
not majestic...more like LEAVE ME BE

To grazing goldfinches
pretending to be a nuthatch

To exotic ibises
Dunlins (with black bellies) are cool, too
To energetic butterbutts
prefers to be called Mr. Yellow-rumped Warbler

To cocky cardinals
pretending to be a goldfinch
To mischievous jays
I enjoy a peanut

To skulking pheasants
they think they're wearing camo...silly boys

To teeny weeny nuthatches
doesn't have to pretend

To gorging grosbeaks
the crab apples are mine, MINE, I tell you!

To lonesome loons
I have never seen two loons...they must get together sometime....

To schooling snow buntings
more than two

To store-watching gulls
unfortunately, Pamida closed a long time ago
To racing-striped sparrows
thinks he's sexy

To stalking cranes
knows it

To glaring merlins
go away

To greedy waxwings
thank goodness for gizzards
To comical chickadees
is what he is

To fledging bluebirds
because. baby

To babyish wrens
ditto

To spotted flickers
polka dots are a fashion statement

To omnivorous ravens
don't look too close, you don't want to know
To camouflaged snowys
look closely

To a gaggle of geese
as I said
To a bunch of baby ducks
BABIES!!!


And there we are.  Approximately 7% of why I love and adore and am transfixed and obsessed by birds.  Why they are a theme, a motif and a daily ostinato of the music of my life. If that were my only obsession, I would be worried....but....evil laugh....I have so many more!!!

It's what makes my life exciting and new every day!

So go out...get obsessed by something fun and creative. 

I dare you.

2 comments:

  1. We get some redpolls at our feeders. I didn't know their names, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete