Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

906 Reasons Why I Love da UP

906 is an important number in the UP.  I don't think I can think of that many reasons that I love the Upper Peninsula (yet), but I think I want to name a few and talk about a few more.

I don't know when it was that I first figured out that there IS more to Michigan than the lower mitten shape I used to pop into the map of the states that I loved to put together at my grandma's house as a kid.  Interesting how the upper and lower parts of Michigan aren't really connected at all, except by the Mackinac (say Mackinaw) Bridge, which stretches for nearly 5 miles over the Straits of Mackinac (again, make sure you say Makinaw).  I don't know why if it's spelled Mackinac, it's pronounced Mackinaw and if it's spelled Mackinaw, it's also pronounced Mackinaw (although I guess THAT makes sense).  Anyway, if you live north of the bridge you are a Yooper, (but only if you have earned the title by being born a Yooper, or proved yourself somehow to someone who is a real Yooper). I'm sure there are tests for it, which probably include hunting and fishing exams, driving a four-wheeler and snowmobile, knowing the ingredients in cudighi sausage, and how to make your own pasties (pass-tees, please). 



Bond Falls is one of 84 waterfalls in Upper Michigan

(By the way, if you live  under--south of the Mackinac bridge, the Yoopers call you a TROLL.)

About 906.  It's an area code.  In fact, if you live anywhere in the UP, it's your area code.  Even though the UP contains something over 25 percent of the land mass of Michigan, only 3 percent of its people live there.  So only one area code is needed. If you like crowds, you gotta work hard to find one in the UP.  That's just the way I like it, myself.  

Especially since when you do meet up with someone, they are friendly as all get out.  Not the small-talking-how's-the-weather type friendly, but more like they want to know your life story, and are more than tickled to tell you theirs.  When you check out at the grocery store, be prepared to hear a cheerful anecdote about the checker's kid in dance class, or the bear that looked in somebody's kitchen window yesterday.  If you stop at a restaurant or a bar, get ready for the third-degree--just be ready. They will coax you, ever so gently over a beer or a cup of coffee, to spill your guts about your past, your political views and whatever it is you are up to visiting the UP.  

I believe in angels.  I've not had much personal experience with the wing-wearing, trumpet-blowing, invisible guardian types, But I have talked to a few who look a lot like regular human beings. On the morning of June 30, we decided to go out for breakfast, instead of our usual camp breakfast, so we could talk to our son about our thoughts on moving to the UP.  We hadn't quite made up our minds, but we were CLOSE.  Anyway, our waitress, Kelly, without knowing about our own conversation began telling us about when she and her husband had taken a chance and moved, opened a restaurant, because of the kindness of strangers found a place to live, became a local success, and have never doubted their decision once.  She was so very HAPPY about the leap of faith they had made, that I looked at my husband with tears in my eyes, wondering if it was a sign.  Of course it was a sign.  By July 1, we had made our decision.  

Since that time, because of the kindness of strangers, we have found a place to live, as well as a place to do business.  When we advertised for a house to rent, several people offered us a place for free.
"It's just sittin' there, might as well have someone living in it."  Wow. 

You might think from all this that people are busybodies in the UP.  I don't get that vibe at all.  I call it the state of doing-whatever-the-hell-you-please.  People might have an old car in their yard.  No big deal, 'cause the next guy probably has two, out behind the woodpile and sauna.  I have worried sometimes about wearing my "camp clothes" to restaurants, then looked around and noticed that dressed up, even in "fancy" places usually means camo and a baseball cap.  REALLY dressed up means a nice pair of jeans with no mud from four-wheeling.  

Anyway, I think that's a start on my 906 reasons.  If you don't believe how nice it is, get in your car, point it towards Lake Superior and drive a bunch of hours.  You wouldn't regret it.  

I don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment