Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Day 22--Rumors and Intrigue

Siggghhhh....

This post will be different.  Maybe not even any pictures.

Reason #173 why I don't mind leaving this town and moving up north:  Gossip.

I have made it my habit, and by habit, I mean several YEARS worth of habit, to stay as far from the gossip mill as I can.

One definition that I found for the word gossip is "casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typcially involving details that are not confirmed as being true.

Folks, I am a fact checker.  I like to read stuff on the internet, especially political stuff.  BUT I don't believe everything I hear.  And if something is sensational and noteworthy, I like to know if it is true. Soooo, I check my facts.  I don't share things without checking a LOT first

I heard today that I was "forced" out of my job. Whatever that means.  Whatever....

I guess because I don't spread rumors, I am easily hurt when someone spreads a rumor about me. Which means not only did someone spread it, but someone MADE IT UP to start with.

To tell the truth, I didn't like the direction my job description was taking.  It was taking me farther and farther from my subject area of preference. Also, I feel that teaching, with all the requirements OUTSIDE of the classroom, was stifling my creativity somewhat.  However, no one forced me, or even seemed to want me to up and quit.  Maybe I'm wrong, and there were a few high fives when I announced my plans to move.  I'm okay with not knowing.

Another big factor in all this is that I am a VERY married Woman.  Bob and I are totally on the same team.  Equal partners and all that.  We talked an talked and TALKED; in fact we started talking YEARS ago about when would be a good time to make a move in our careers.  There were and are MANY factors that helped US decide that this is the right time.  Then WE made the decision. Together.  Working with middle school kids for 32 years, I have learned to watch what I say, because at heart I really want to be KIND.  It is easy to hurt people with words, and gossip is NOT kind.  I felt I was spending a lot of my time running away from unkind talk at work, so as to not get sucked into it.  I am not perfect, and can be tempted by the sensational.

I like the bluntness of the people I have met in the UP.  If they want to know something about you they will ask.  In fact, everyone asks, all the time, what the heck you are thinking, and what the hell you think you are doing. They are very direct and they aren't afraid to go to the source.  For instance, my husband and I were moving some stuff into our future place of business (more on that later, I promise), and a stranger walked up and said, "Okay, what's up?"

So we told her what was up.  No one's feelings got hurt, and everyone walked away a little better informed.

I wonder how many times during the last school year I walked into a room where the conversation suddenly stopped.  Just one of the many things that helped me make the decision to move on to something better.

Like I said, I am easily hurt by unkindness directed my way.  However, I know I will get over it, for sure, forever, in about 600 miles or so.










No comments:

Post a Comment