Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Day 19--Half-time

WHEW!!!  We have officially moved half our stuff to the UP--that is, half of our non-PURGED stuff (see Day 9).

Back to Iowa Monday to begin the third quarter of The Game of Life, MOVING EDITION!

Nick and I used to play that game all the time.  Remember the little pink and blue peg people in the cars?  I only wish he could have played the 60's version that I grew up with.  In that version, there were MANY different squares you could land on and acquire a new kid in the family.  This would result in more pink and blue pegs than your car would hold.  I remember the directions gleefully instructed us to just stick the kids in any old way and keep going!

My husband, by the way, is the master car and moving truck packer.  He fills every space in perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle, so that nothing gets jostled or broken in the move. So I guess if we had six kids or so, he would find a way to pack them all in carefully, not just any old way.

The next time we return to our up north new home, we will have everything with us, including two kitties:
Maxie, our big gentle Maine Coon Tabby-Calico girl

Peggy, our rambunctious, naughty three-legged Pretend-Panther boy

All that will be left to move after that will be our grand piano, which is receiving special (read EXPENSIVE) transport.

So after a bit more packing, purging, cleaning and selling, we will have officially moved.

SO (#2) Who will I miss?  I will miss a lot of my school buddies, adults and students alike.  I don't need to name you, do I?  I should think you'd know who you are.  

SOO (#3) What things will I miss?  My rain shower head.  If you call it a "head" because the water hits you there first, the shower here in the rental house should be called a shower CHEST.  My shower at camp...well it is random pathetic cold trickle SOMEWHERE. 

I will miss my purple and green garden shed, although, I am sure I will find other things to paint purple and green.  I already have an idea :)  And no, it's not my perfect outhouse at camp, which already has green shingles.  Our friend Darrell would have a conniption if I were to paint his beautiful log siding PURPLE! 

I will miss my favorite birding spots, especially Dunbar Slough and "my" eagles there.  There are plenty of birding spots in the UP that I haven't discovered yet, so I will be okay there.

I will miss our wild yard of flowers and waterfall and birds and berries and Mr. Black.  Mr. Black has already found a new owner next door, who will allow him to to remain the king of his neighborhood. (Thanks, Melissa!)
Mr. Black, the cat who claimed us


To make up for what I miss, I have new adventures crowding into my every day.  Like finding and picking and eating blueberries (at least 23 of them!!!) right in the middle of camp yesterday. New birds like Common Ravens, Evening Grosbeaks, and some weird and spooky white crows down the road a piece from here.  I have a new job coming up (MUCH more on that MUCH later, as things come together, I promise).  I have time to write and compose and create and explore.  Time to breathe in the fresh air, and listen to the birds sing.  
Evening Grosbeaks are so beautiful.  Unfortunately, this one was trying to hide.


Two of 23!



Thinking about it, there are many people I will miss, and hopefully, they will miss me a little, as well. If they do (subtle hint), all they have to do someday is point their car towards Lake Superior, and drive a bunch of hours.  

If you decide to do that someday, when you get halfway here or so (make sure you belt up and don't just ride any old way!), let us know you're coming and we will guide you into our wilderness the rest of the way.  The UP is worth the trip...you will see.

Happy trails,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment