Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Day 24--On the Downhill Side

July 24: I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I was beginning to think that our closets and our attic and our basement were like the never-ending bottomless pits of stuff.  But no, the end is somewhere in sight.

I am wondering how I feel about that.  I have loved this house.  LOVED THIS HOUSE.  If all goes the way I think it might, it might be sold very soon.

July 25:  In the flurry of activity of packing, it's hard to find time to post.  Today I was packing the weird little odds and ends that don't seem to fit in a box with anything else. And I found this:



Yes, Disney fans.  This is the little pig that built his house out of bricks.  The smart one.  Since my house is a pretty little brick house, built smartly by someone in 1929, I think it's appropriate that this little guy stays with the house.  I think I will try to put him somewhere for the new owners to find.

There are a couple of things that we bought for the house that obviously are staying...like new windows and a new roof. There are other little things I am leaving behind, like the little cupboard I bought for the microwave that matches the style and era of the kitchen cabinets. I like thinking about the new owners enjoying the little brick house as much as I have.  Seems like when I can think about it this way, I am not sad to move but instead happy to share my house with the new people.

Funny how some things make me sad to leave and other things make me know it's the right thing to do.  Neither Bob nor I are spring chickens, and I like to think that our life and work experiences make us an asset to any new community that we may call home.  Alas, I have not always felt that way here. I think there are people in education who are always looking for the next big thing that will revolutionize teaching so that all kids will be smarter, have more fun, or make the school look better in some way.  The truth is, the best teaching comes from knowledge and experience and just plain caring about the students enough to make sure they succeed.  Teachers did that a hundred years ago...at least the good ones did.  Even Socrates had some pretty radical ideas about how to expect kids to be independent learners and problem solvers.  I feel like with 32 years experience as a teacher, I was really getting to do some good, helping students become more open-minded learners, who could solve some problems outside of their usual small sphere of everyday activities.

Anyway...if you detect a little bitterness, I am feeling it.  I need, so much, to get back to the forests. Moving Is Really Hard, both physically and mentally, and I am a little worn down and crabby.  I said I didn't want hoopla, that I wanted to escape this town without it, but some people are doing some things that are to me like a little kick in the pants out the door.  Well, come Tuesday or so, I get to say it for real:

Goodbye Carroll!

I'll say it for real in a few days.

P.S.  Thank you to all my friends who have stopped by for hugs this week, or emailed best wishes to me.  (you know who you are!) I love you lots and will think of your kindnesses often as I continue this new adventure!

P.P.S.  God laughed at me today.  When the story of that is complete, I will tell it to you.

Sleep well



No comments:

Post a Comment